Hi,

I'm really excited about these microturbines. The tubine/generator shaft is
supported on air bearings. There aren't any lubricants. The things will run
24/7 with minimal maintenance only needing an air filter change once a year
or so. The exhaust is exceedingly clean. They will run on diesel, biodiesel,
kerosene, and probably ethanol. They can also run on gaseous fuels such as
natural gas, propane, LNG, and I am sure they could be adjusted for hydrogen
when and if that becomes available. Which leaves me wondering WHY do we need
fuel cells? Right now, we have a running technology, Hakan's ready to use
technology, that apparently can do all, and more, of what is expected with a
fuel cell. They can be used as the power source in a hybrid vehicle. I
believe the problem with turbines in a direct drive vehicle was the
difficulty of controlling accesleration and start up time. That wouldn't
appear to be a problem in a hybrid that basically needs an engine running at
a constant output.

I think they need to try and downsize the turbines to the output for a house
sized unit. Then, put one in the house and turn it on, fueled with biodiesel.
Turn off the power company. It can set up as a cogen, so one has space heat,
hot water, and electricity, all at the same time.

Do we really need to wait all of those years for a fuel cell?

Derek

> Hi Derek, how goes?
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> >I've been looking about the Internet at the new HEVs and have come across
> >these sites, which I don't recall being mentioned recently on this list. I
> >felt they make an interesting read.
> >
> >http://www.microturbine.com/caseStudies/hevCase1.asp
> >
> >Use of a microturbine for buses in an HEV application. Burning either diesel
> >or CNG. There are a lot of applications mentioned for these turbines with
> >mention of advantages over ICEs relative to noise, exhaust polution,
> >maintenance, etc.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!