  From: Alan Petrillo
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 14:34
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Microturbines vs fuel cells

  Greg and April wrote:
  > It is somewhat dependant on the incoming air temperature, the higher the
incoming temp, the less fuel they have to use for a given power output. In
general it is my understanding that they are better than conventional ICEs.

  I could be wrong, but I don't think that is correct.

  If you put a high temerature in then you get a high temperature out, and
  you usually flirt with overheating the burner and power turbine.  Very
  often before the engine reaches its rated output.

  Long range jet aircraft generally like to fly around 41,000ft altitude,
  because that's where they get the best winds and temperatures aloft.  If
  it's too _warm_ up there then they just don't get the range.

  When I was in the Army flying OH-58C's the lowest fuel burn figures I
  saw were during very cold weather.  Sometimes so low I had to double
  check my figures to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.  On really cold
  days I saw burn rates as low as 135pph, and during the summer I was
  lucky to see burn rates as low as 155pph, and 185pph was not uncommon
  for the first hour.  Performancewise, they'd pop right up during cold
  weather, but we could barely drag them off the ground in hot weather.

  What turbines really run on is the temperature _difference_.  And
  pressure difference.  If you have cold, dense air coming in then they
  don't have to work as hard to compress it, they don't have to work as
  hard to heat it, they cool themselves more efficiently, and since it's
  denser the power turbines can get more of a grip on it.

  My experience is that turbine engines like their intake air as _cold_ as
  they can get it.

  An interesting thing is that helicopter turbine engines run in exactly
  the same way as the turbogenerators for a turboelectric hybrid would.
  The engine runs at a constant rpm, senses load, and adds torque to
  compensate.  In a helicopter the load is put in when the pilot pulls
  collective pitch and demands power to keep the rotor speed up.  In a
  turboelectric hybrid the load is put in when the driver puts his right
  foot down and feeds electric current to the motors, thus demanding power
  to keep the generator speed up.  Build the motors to run on 110v 400hz
  and you could even use off the shelf aircraft technology on the
  generation side.

  AP

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Rent DVDs from home.