Hello Paul

>Just wondering what other people are using to mix up the lye and
>methanol with.  Seems that I read alot about putting it in a sealed
>container to avoid fumes... but then how do you mix it up?  Just shake
>it around or do you need to have some sort of sealed mixed in the
>carboy??!  Does that do enough?
>
>The "Foolproof" method notes that "... It's nasty stuff and it's not
>easy to mix -- and it must be thoroughly mixed before you use it, with
>all the lye dissolved" and goes on to note that you just give it a
>series of swirls and then let it sit.

"Once it's all added [ie the lye], replace the stopper and the lid,
and swirl the mixture about for a few seconds. Then let it stand. Do
that a few more times, every few hours or so (at least 4-6 times in
all). It will be thoroughly dissolved in 24 hours, or maybe a bit
longer."
See: Methoxide the easy way
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html#easymeth

Also: Mixing the methoxide
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#methmix
"... If you shake it a lot, and often, it can be ready a lot sooner
than 24 hours -- in just a few hours, or even less, some people say.
But DON'T use it until ALL the lye is thoroughly dissolved. If you
use a white translucent HDPE container you can see any undissolved
lye at the bottom of the container."

>Is that enough to thoroughly mix
>it?!  Sounds good to me if so as I was planning on having to mix up
>several small batches in my blender and then pouring them into a
>container together, sealing that and then having it gravity fed through
>a tube into the processor.

Or use an air-pump, such as an aquarium aerator. More details here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor5.html
Simple 5-gallon processor

>So,... just pour, shake thoroughly, and
>drain..?!.
>
>Also, does the base vs acid process demand more or less thorough
>mixing?  Any thoughts out there?

Methoxide is methoxide, it has to be thoroughly mixed no matter which
process you use. See above.

I much agree with Todd's advice re KOH, we seldom use NaOH these
days. KOH mixes quickly and easily, and there are other advantages.
See: More about lye
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#lye

The "Foolproof" acid-base method, by the way, is not for newcomers:
"NOTE: The two-stage biodiesel processes are advanced methods, not
for novices -- learn the basics thoroughly first. The single-stage
base method is the place to start. Start here."

"Here" being here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Best