Keith posted:

> Hi Hakan
>
> >Keith,
> >
> >It is worth mentioning that they survive with less accident fatalities than
> >US, what ever criteria you base it on. In some cases two third less, like
> >Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries. It is also worth mentioning
> >that the speed limits in Europe are generally higher than US. I like to
> >think that the large difference has much to do with the vehicles. The
> >Europeans and the Japanese might be very much better drivers, but that the
> >Americans are that bad, I do not belive.
>
> Neither do I.
>
> >The difference is to too large, to
> >be only explained by general driving skills and safety consciousness.
>
> I've never seen a satisfactory explanation, one that fully fits the
> fact, and it is a fact.

One additional possibility is the roads.  Over the years driving in various
parts
of North America, I have come to the conclusion that we have no clue on this
continent how to build safe roads.  We make them smooth and straight (to induce
highway hypnosis), every on-ramp and off-ramp is unique, to ensure we never
develop
a consistent sense of how to handle them, and then we don't bother to maintain
them
properly, so we have high-speed slalom events as drivers swerve to avoid holes
in
concrete and asphalt that become visible only at the last second.  The list
goes
on.  I'm sure it doesn't explain all the disparity, but it might be a factor.

> >For
> >many years, at least three decades, Mercedes and VOLVO has been world
> >leaders in car safety and at the same time fuel consumption in its class of
> >cars.
> >
> >To find an explanation for the large difference between US and
> >Europe/Japan? It cannot only be that the Americans do not know how to
> >drive, it must also have something to do with knowing how to make cars also.
>
> Maybe, but I doubt it's just mechanical. The type of cars?
>
> >I know that I probably upset nearly the total male population in US, it is
> >nothing that is so sacred as a man and his car, but we have to look a bit
> >on the realities also.
>
> LOL! I think you may have just hit the reality though, in your usual
> inimitable style. Let's upset 'em a bit more... "Male", "sacred"...
> Men are dumb, eh, we all know that, dumb and gullible. Could there be
> a case for saying that in the US the car is much more an extension of
> the male ego than is the case in Europe and Japan? Of course you find
> such attitudes in Europe and Japan, but seldom to the same degree,
> and it's not nearly as systemic, institutionalised, "normal". It's
> laid on thick as treacle in every aspect of the US car culture apart
> from Ralph Nader. Especially in the marketing.

This is an accepted syndrome.  Men make up for their shortcomings in their
"manhood" by substituting what's under the car's hood.

> I'd said this about the alleged accident-proneness of small cars:
> "It's held that they're *inherently* more dangerous, and that a large
> proportion of the fatalities involving them are single-car
> accidents." And it got ignored. True or not, what you definitely can
> say about small cars is that there's a lot less ego-food in them than
> in a huge blundering unstoppable phallic symbol like a Suburban or an
> Explorer. That would make fertile ground for this kind of anti-fuel
> economy spin, and it sure did "take", didn't it? Emasculation!
>
> Male ego and traffic are not a healthy combination. It's something
> you go through as a teenager, at that painful stage when chasing
> girls doesn't work very well unless you have a car, and not just any
> car. (Maybe less so in Europe and Japan.) Some people get stuck
> there. I suppose chucking a hundred billion or so cleverly spent
> dollars at it every year, year after year, could get an entire
> culture stuck there. It seems soccer moms (whatever they are) buy big
> SUVs too, and there might not be any direct statistical correlation
> between high accident rates and overactive male egos, but there
> wouldn't have to be any such correlation if that type of approach had
> helped to swamp the market with such vehicles.
>
> Maybe bigger vehicles are indeed safer. Brian said Americans buy them
> for that reason, which I doubt. Whether they're safer or not, I'm
> sure they make you *feel* safer when you're driving them. That would
> surely be a false security, it would mean you'd drive less safely. So
> even if they are safer, they end up being more dangerous. Someone
> once said road accidents could be eradicated if cars had no safety
> features at all, were very fragile, made of thin, see-through glass,
> with little sense of being enclosed, and built very close to the
> ground. (And zero sex-appeal.) That could be true. Not that we'll
> ever find out, LOL!

I believe this was settled in "High and Mighty", by Keith Bradsher (and
elsewhere).
Facts show that the heavy vehicles with high center of gravity are actually
more
dangerous to their occupants than other vehicle types that are less likely to
roll-over.

In one of my more cynical moments, I remember suggesting that putting a shotgun
shell in the steering wheel instead of an air bag, but set off by the same
sensors,
would probably save more lives than the airbags (just not those sitting in the
driver's seats).

Remember occupants of vehicles are not injured by the collision with the other
vehicle, but in the collision with the vehicle they occupy (assuming they are
not
ejected).  Big heavy vehicles are less forgiving, in part because of the weight
differential.  A 75 kg adult weighs about 10% of what a very small economy car
weighs, but about 2% of what a large American SUV weighs.

Darryl

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511