> >Are you aware
> >of any studies that look at percentages of traffic fatalities are
> >caused by oversize vehicle vs small vehicle collisions.  I think
> >that this would be interesting.
Relationships between Vehicle Size and Fatality Risk in Model Year
1985-93 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks

NHTSA has a very nice search tool.  Certainly not the only source but
aplace to start anyway.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/808570.html

and model year, based on the crash experience of model year 1985-93
passenger cars and light trucks (pickups, vans and sport utility
vehicles) in the United States during calendar years 1989-93.
Regression analyses calibrate the relationship between curb weight and
the fatality rate, adjusting for the effects of driver age, sex and
other confounding factors. The analyses estimate the change in
fatalities (including occupants of the "case" vehicle, occupants of
other vehicles in the crash, and pedestrians/bicyclists) per 100 pound
weight reduction in cars or in light trucks. A 100-pound reduction in
the average weight of passenger cars, with accompanying reductions
(based on historical patterns) in other size parameters such as track
width, and in the absence of any compensatory improvements in safety
technology, is associated with an estimated increase of 302 fatalities
per year (± 3-sigma confidence bounds range from an increase of
an increase of 434). However, a 100-pound reduction in the average
weight of light trucks is associated with an estimated decrease of 40
fatalities (± 3-sigma confidence bounds range from a decrease of
130
to an increase of 50). In car-light truck collisions, 80 percent of
the fatalities are occupants of the cars. When light trucks are
reduced in weight and size, they become less hazardous to occupants of
passenger cars as well as pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists.
Conversely, growth in the weight and size of light trucks could
increase hazards to those groups."

> > > in a huge blundering unstoppable phallic symbol like a Suburban
or an Explorer. That would make fertile ground for this kind of anti-

Do you know that the Explorer is almost exactly the same length as the
Ford Contour, a relative small car here in the US, sold as the Mondeo
in other countries?  The Explorer would probably fit inside the
Suburban!  You must be thinking of the Expedition or Excursion.

Ed

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511