G'day Robert

>Keith Addison wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> > >  Funny, I was thinking much the same thing...
> >
> > That's a little ambiguous in its phrasing, Mr Williams
>
>    <snip>
>
>    Actually, the phrase is completely ridiculous, given that Ed Beggs
>lives in Westbank, British Columbia, NOT in the United States!

:-) I thought I might leave that not exactly minor detail for later
(though it fits). The ambiguity is that you can't tell, just from the
wording, whether he was turning the tables - America needs help to
rid itself of attitudes such as Ed's - or agreeing with Ed. From the
context, as well as from what we already know of Mr Williams (you and
me both), the second possibility is rather remote. The first would
mean he supports the bigotry Ed and others took exception to, and
compounds it. It seems typical of his style to leave himself such an
escape hatch, intentionally or not. He's a hit-and-run merchant,
which is just fine if you're a Cossack and Napoleon's invading your
country, but on an international discussion list it's slimy, and
contemptuous. We've had a few, I guess we'll have a few more. They're
all the same - once you see that behaviour you can say with some
confidence what the underlying attitudes are likely to be. Which in
this case makes the second possibility even more remote. Maybe this
is all terribly unjust and we do him wrong. But he was told to
explain himself, and to be snappy about it, and if he'd been wronged
he might have done so by now. Silence. On the other hand, Joel
demanded "summary execution" for anyone expressing such "execrable"
opinions, and nobody disagreed with him. I agreed with him, and
nobody disagreed with that either. Mr Williams will hang himself with
his silence. It's up to him, his choice to make.

Best wishes

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511