Hi: Oh yes, I speak very clear American (US variant of English)....it's
from growing up halfway between Detroit (cars) and Sarnia (petroleum),
near Wallaceburg (soybeans, and a lot of people from Holland).

So I ended up sounding like I am from Michigan (so they told me when I
moved to Edmonton years ago, to partake in the oil boom), looking like
I came from Holland (you say), and fooling with how to make engines run
on stuff from farmland that burns cleaner and doesn't form "blobs" in
the bottoms of rivers.

But I'm as Canadian as anyone but First Nations folks, which is to say
the family's been here since the  boats landed in from Ireland and
Scotland, fleeing the results of potato monoculture and imperialism,
laissez faire economics, indifference, greed and all that.

If somebody'd got on the wrong boat, or they'd drawn the lines on the
map a few miles further west,  I'd be a US citizen, I suppose. Maybe
even a Yooper.
( Pass the Cornish pasties and smoked fish, I gotta finish my Stroh's
and get up dere by da Soo, there's still 3 weeks of ice fishin' ta go!)