I don't see how ethanol production from corn is energetically favorable.  A
mass and energy balance invariably is deficient.  It is only by government
subsidies that the concept remains alive.  I am not swayed by creative balance
sheets that include credits for cattle feed, etc.  We all had been hoping for
development of a bacteria that could produce EtOH in better yield than yeast.
So
far, I don't know that this has happened.  In any event, hydrolysis of the
cellulose to sugar would be a necessary first step.

What might be feasible is a concept I developed years ago (and got a little
backing).  I wanted to use geothermal energy in the Imperial Valley
(California) to distill EtOH produced by fermentation of sugar beets.  Sugar
beets grow
well in the valley and no "superbugs" would be needed to increase the yield of
alcohol.  The geothermal energy wouldn't be free, since an infrastructure
would be needed to obtain it, but it would be far less costly than using a
fossil
fuel.

-- Jay L. Stern