I could be WAY off base here and I know you said "diesel" fire but
then went on to say that it was for a 200L batch so that brings it
out of the sphere of petro "diesel" and into the arena of vegetable
oil - biodiesel.
I did a quick Google and came up with this:
Fire codes:http://www.firepros.4t.com/photo3.html
and an example of a class K fire wet chemical extinguisher suitable
for vegetable oil fires.
http://www.officezone.com/badger_k.htm

Does that answer the question ? Maybe ?

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Arlos " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Do a search for MSDS (Material Safety and Data Sheet) This will
list the
> flash point vapor pressure, and recommended fire suppression
media. In
> the case of one MSDS, it was noted that foam  (AFFF), dry chemical
and
> CO2 were recommended.
>    As a former fire fighter, you have to have enough fire
suppression
> material on hand but the best advice, is get out and call 911
because no
> amount of material wealth is worth losing your life over fighting a
> fire. If you store your finish product in a steel drum, that needs
> have a bonded ground connection. Static protection is a good idea
anyway
> with working around the storage or making of bio-diesel. If your
200 L
> is stored with a fire resistant lid (hopefully) then the next
problem is
> storage in an area where there is a source of combustion (other
> flammables, ignition source point such as hot work equipment like
> welding, drill motors, grinding equipment. Have a fire resistant
oily
> rag can with a spring lid.
>   Answering exactly how much fire fighting media is need depends on
> several points. Did a fire occur when the 200 L has spilled and has
> involved other types of combustibles as in a wooded floor, out
door near
> dry grass or brush, curtains, furnishing, paper. Is the weather a
factor
> such as wind, humidity and temp. Is your fire contained within a
drum
> only? Is it in an enclosed area, open area outdoor, under an
overhang,
> under a tree?  In the best case, you can extinguish a self
contained
> fire by placing a lid on the container. Gas and petroleum fires are
> fought by containing the source and laying on a blanket of oxygen
> reducing foam Small multi class fire extinguishers have a limited
amount
> of material and should be checked annually as some dry chemicals
will
> cake during long storage they are not a good choice outdoors as the
> wrong use can actually spread flames.One of the first things a fire
> fighter learns is the term, "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff.".
Water
> is the number one choice for firefighting because it's cheap,
available
> and easy to transport. Water may or may not be a good choice
because it
> can actually help to spread flames. Water is used to cool a fire
below
> the flash point. Remember only a gas burns, not a liquid or a
solid.
> Only when a material is heated will it release a gas that actually
> burns, not the material. This is the same for fluids. A garden
hose will
> deliver between 3-7 gallons per minute which is just enough to
push a
> good fire around, not put it out, Foams are mixed with water
because
> they will blanket the fuel and cool the flash point. There are
several
> commercial systems like Ansel available if you store fuel in a
secure
> area.  The most serious consideration in a bio-diesel fire are the
by-
> products of combustion. This has to be considered. In an enclosed
area
> the rapid lack of available breathable air is the single biggest
factor
> in your survival during a fire. People generally succumb to
respiration
> issues due to toxic substances.
>   The best thing to do is have a plan, including the layout of your
> storage area, utility shut offs, evacuation route, first aid kit.
Your
> fire may happen in the middle of the night and the fire dept needs
> know where you've stored it if it is in a building. You won't be
doing
> your best thinking at 3AM so be prepared. Also have a spill kit to
> contain and absorb any spills to aid in preventing a larger fire
> potential. Run through a fire drill several times and make sure
others
> beside you know exactly what you're up to out in the garage at
night
> brewing bio-diesel.  The 5 P's save lives-Proper Planning Prevents
Poor
> Performance.. Ok so this sounds like preaching but if you've ever
seen
> someone terribly burned in a fire, you'd understand.. One last
thing..
> don't be a dead hero, call the fire dept in the event of a fire..
If
> fact pre-empt them and call and ask the same question, How do I
fight a
> bio-diesel fire. They are not there to shut down your operation but
> would be helpful in setting up a safety program for you.
>
> Arlos

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295t87b8/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D
=gr

oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1086428007/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http
:/w