Dave,

Afraid you'll need to recalculate your numbers a bit.

First, the stuff that settles out of a transesterification is a
soap/alcohol/glycerol/catalyst cocktail, not just glycerol. The only reason
it hardens is because a high fraction of its volume is soap and not
glycerol. (In its pure state, glycerol is colorless, sweet and weighs out at
10# per gallon.) The higher the soap to glycerol ratio the harder it gets.
Unfortunately, a greater soap ratio indicates a higher FFA content in the
parent oil and in turn a lower biodiesel yield. The only way to get the
input/yield ratio up to 1:1 is to use an acid base process. This reduces the
ratio of soap in the cocktail and prevents the cocktail from hardening.

The reality is that if you achieve the 1:1 ratio you will get very little
soap. When recovering the glycerol from the cocktail, that soap is fractured
back to FFAs and the sodium or potassium ion. The metal ion bonds with the
acidic ion (usually phosphorous) to form a sodium or potassium precipitate
(fertilizer).

The methanol is recovered from the glycerol, leaving a straw colored to
amber product, perhaps somewhere in the range of 95% purity. If the parent
stock was WVO the glycerol will be in great need of
deodorization/sterilization.

Methanol is also recovered from the FFAs and the FFAs are used as a fuel
(appoximately the same viscosity as biodiesel and considerably less viscous
than SVO or WVO) or run back through the acid/base process.

If the recovered glycerol comes from biodiesel manufactured from SVO, you
can add it to various soap and cosmetic products. Glass soap, aka "glycerin
soap," is nothing more than an average soap recipe with extra glycerin
added, along with a prolonged boiling step using ethanol. In short, glass
soap is an energy hog. A cold processed soap with extra glycerin that is not
boiled to glass clear would save energy, alcohol and time (as if time can be
saved) yet still achieve the same utilitarian results.

Sorry to say it, but the process of getting from A to Z is a fair bit more
involved than you might think.

Todd Swearingen