Hello Dave

>Dear Jake:

Sorry for the confusion, the email says Jake for various reasons, but
the sig says Keith Addison, and that's me.

>You sure nailed me.  I'm one of those of fossils who is a Christian,
>Conservative, and hopefully a Patriot.  I am the guy you all despise
>and ridicule at
>every opportunity. Flame on people.

I for one certainly don't despise you or mean to ridicule you. I have
nothing against Christians, nor against Conservatives, especially
with a small "c", and especially if they really are conservative
rather than just a political label. I'm not so sure about patriots,
but never mind.

I suppose I did aim to nail you though. :-) Still, don't take it personally.

There was another purpose in it too. You've been here a couple of
months, and most welcome, but the list has been here for five years,
with thousands of people from all over the world, and nearly 38,000
messages in the archives, covering just about every conceivable
aspect of appropriate energy, as well as inappropriate energy, and
everything relating to it. That's worth knowing - it means what you
want to know or what you're about to offer has quite likely appeared
before in some shape or form. That doesn't mean it shouldn't appear
again, but if you know what's gone before you'll ask better
questions, get better answers, be a better contributer and generate
better responses, and the whole thing moves forward, including you.

Please use the archives - not Yahoo's archives, that hardly works at
all, use the independent one run by list member Martin Klingensmith:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

>If you get a chance you might take the opportunity to have a discussion
>without all the vitriol.

No, it wasn't vitriol, kind of playing, perhaps a little
long-suffering, and not without a touch or more of sarcasm, but it
wasn't vitriolic.

>I have always had an interest in alternative energy resources and at one time
>owned virtually every copy of Mother Earth News.  I read all those articles
>about how the world was coming to an end.  Is Paul Erlichman still around?
>Remember how we were all going to starve as a result of the
>population explosion?

Yes, I never accepted that. Don't make the mistake of thinking we're
"greenies" here, we're not, or not necessarily. Well, there are all
kinds here. Anyway, we regularly take issue with enviro groups,
especially some of the big ones, just as we take issue with Big Oil,
corporate globalisation and corporateering, and quite a few other
things. But it's case by case, you cannot paint these things with
such a broad brush. I believe Paul Erlichman is still around and that
he has done good work too. I'm sure you'll concede that you cannot
stretch his getting the population thing wrong way back then to
substantiate your claim that human-caused global warming is nothing
but an extreme leftwing conspiracy without substance. Such empty
labelling will always be challenged here.

>You may not believe this but I also consider myself a conservationist.

Sure, I can believe it, why not? That's what conservatives are
supposed to be, isn't it? Even in the political sphere there are
factions of Conservatives who are asserting that, in spite of the
Republican Party, and indeed resisting many of its policies on that
account. It makes sense. Strength to their arm.

>Abusing your resources is not only stupid but its bad business.  Being a
>conservative, I think about such things. :))

As indeed you should. I think it's knee-jerk Conservatism that
doesn't fare too well here, but knee-jerk anything doesn't fare too
well here either.

>The people on this forum have provided a remarkable amount of very valuable
>information concerning Biofuels.  You are to be commended.  I have tried many
>of the systems you have presented and am very impressed.  Your council works.
>Todd Swearingen is without a doubt very knowledgeable and gives simple and
>precise answers to the questions asked by those on the forum with questions.
>
>Now, I would like to make a suggestion that some of you entrepreneurs might
>consider.  I believe there is an opportunity for many people to earn real good
>money.  This might be a thumb nail bus. plan.
>
>Assume your able to collect 1000 gals. of WVO per week.  Seems like a
>reasonable task.  That amount should yield 1000 gals. of Biofuel.
>It should also
>yield 750# of glycerin.  Please don't take it to the grass clippings pile.
>Glycerin as you all know is valuable.  Learn how to Purify it and
>then assign your
>wife the task of making a very high value soap. Sell it on the Internet @
>$1.50 per 3.5 oz. bar.  If she can't make that much soap, pour the
>glycerin in 2#
>blocks and again sell it for 2-3 bucks a pound.

The problem with this is that soap is not made of glycerin, you
cannot make soap out of glycerine. Glycerin soap contains glycerin,
but it's a minor component. Commercial soap makers remove the
glycerin and divert it to where it earns more profit, such as in skin
moisturisers that counteract the harsh effects of glycerin-free soap,
LOL! Isn't capitalism wonderful.

You can make a type of soap, or several types of soap, out of the
by-product cocktail from biodiesel production, which as well as
glycerin also contains the excess methanol, the lye catalyst, and
FFAs neutralised to soaps - there might not even be as much glycerin
as soap. It's not the kind of soap you'd try to sell though, more
like an industrial degreaser. You can also separate the cocktail into
its major components, which gives you soapstock (the FFAs, useful for
fuel and a few other things), raw glycerin about 90% pure, and the
catalyst salts (fertiliser), and the methanol, recoverable from the
glycerin portion. But you'd be lucky to find a market for this grade
of glycerin that would make it worth the doing. Maybe you would, but
glycerin buyers generally want it by the container-load, they won't
take small quantities. Purifying it further is energy-intensive and
the equipment required is expensive. I'm not sure it would be worth
it at the scale you propose, nor that you'd find a market for it at
those amounts even if purified.

Probably the most efficient use of the by-product is to use it for
process heat in the biodiesel production, cutting the energy input
right down. There's more information on all this at Journey to
Forever and in the archives.

Sorry about that - definitely not trying to "nail" you this time.
Don't let this put a damper on you, keep thinking, see if you can
find a way around it.

>Let's see what you accomplished.  Gross Income BioD $2,200.00 Soap 200# at
>app. $1,000.00 and the balance of glycerin 500# @ 2.50 /#.  Let's
>see now that's
>about $4,400.00 in gross income.  You might have a Grand in expenses and that
>seems to me to be a pretty good part time business.
>
>Both liberals and conservatives may be able to agree on some things.

Many things. I don't think it's that important, not even in the US in
an election year - not even this election year of all election years!

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan