Dave Hanna -

I think you miss the point.  Oxidation of any carbon-compound releases carbon
dioxide.  It includes combustion of fuels, weathering of wood -- even
exchange of gases from human metabolism.  I'm not one to tell you to "stop
breathing"
to reduce the carbon dioxide build up in the planet's atmosphere. Certainly
not!  What does make sense to me is to reduce the amount of fossil fuel that is
burned.  That means use of plant residues from the current growing season,
solar power, wind or tidal, etc. Biodiesel is one version of "use of plant
residues."  Others include fermentation to yield other oxygenated fuels and
direct
use such as refuse-to-energy plants.

A commitment to "alternative fuels" by our federal government would probably
be a good thing.  Even in its absence -- or token support by the Department of
Energy, for example -- the private sector is doing a pretty good job.
Witness the astounding interest in and by members of  this group.

The problem that I see is the response by the rest of the world.  I realize
that the United States was castigated by others due to the fact that we
declined to agree to the Kyoto accords.  But so long as we are actually DOING
something, is formal acceptance really necessary?  I don't think so,
particularly
when other nations just seek to increase their fuel use at our expense.  This
attitude has a name.  It is called "jealousy."  Look at China, as the worst
example.  Their use of fossil fuels is burgeoning.  Who calls on them to find
other
sources?  Besides, anyone who dared would be ignored.  And the type of fuel
most abundantly burned is called "stone coal," named by the fact that it
contains so much sulfur that it is hard, like a rock.  When it is burned, it
releases massive amounts of sulfur dioxide which, in the presence of water
vapor,
forms sulfuric acid.  Further, there are only minimal pollution controls or
efficiency standards so, beside releasing sulfuric acid, they belch forth
massive
amounts of oxides of nitrogen as well as carbon dioxide.

Dave, global warming is real.  Migration of species from lower to higher
latitudes, more severe weather-related disturbances, drought bands,
proliferation
of economically unimportant grasses (i.e. --"weeds") are all components. To
say that global warming is " ...an attempt by the extreme left to control the
activities of society," is dismissive of reality as well as expressing naivety
to the extreme.  Study the work of the late, great oceanographer Roger Revelle,
in the 1950s, from Scripp's institute.  He studied global warming by the
the
status quo.  But he was right then and he remains right now.

-- Jay L. Stern

In a message dated 08/27/2004 7:21:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Andrew,

> Global warming is in my opinion an attempt by the extreme left to control
the
> activities of society to the extent that they'll control all of human
> activities.  This is about power and the lefts never ending desire to
regulate free
> people.
>
> Trying to control CO2 is an exercise in futility.  Hydrocarbons are in
> constant change. It's a part of nature as surely as the water cycle.
These people