Robert:
Good idea you have and not missing too much but for
smaller applications usually the cost of standby
charges and the "electrical switchgear" cost make for
an expensive proposition with unanticipated costs. I
know this because of my previous fomer career in
energy for both small and large co-generation
applications.  But it doesn't hurt to try!

>From a purely investment decision:
My recommendation is you need to identify your usage
during "on-peak" hours, "partial-peak", and "off-peak"
utility periods and find both the real tariff rate for
each period and the average. The key is the peak rate.
Therefore, let's say your average is 15 cents per kwh.

2,000 kWh/month X .15 $/kwh (avg?)= $300 per mo bill

For a retail site the net-metering also means a
different set of electrical "switchgear" at your
metering box along with proper circuit protection and
circuit breakers. For commercial applications by a
registered electric contractor I would budget at
minimum $6,000 for this work.

You need to consider the cost of Diesel fuel and also
you will need the Permits necessary to operate the
generator. You will also need to consider the hours of
operation and downtime for maintenence.

Also, if you have a recording studio, the power
generator will most likely generate signal noise which
may impact the fidelity of your recording equipment
and you will need to consider the "Power Quality"
aspects of your decision.

You need to conduct a Return on Investement
calculation and also consider the amortization of your
equipment if done for a business, along with the
environmental costs of using traditional diesel.

What impact will your decision have on your local
environment? How about noise pollution?  Do you need
to inform you neighbors?  How does your investment
affect your cost of capital and revenue for your
business?

When all that is done you can calculate "simple
payback" calculation by using "Cost of Project"
divided by "Savings in One Year."

Regards,

P. Wolfe