OK Kirk.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of follow-up questions:
First, Is accuracy of your temperature set points (or other I/O) a critical
issue for controlling a process? Because, a PID or Smith compensator control
can give you far better control of your process than a bi-metallic strip for
example.

Second, I'd like to rephrase the question: Is there any way (in your opinion)
that obsolete computers can be put to use for the purposes of generating
alternative energy?

Lastly: Can anything really be called "foolproof"? If I count the number of
times that I have a power outage/lightning strike on my property, I still come
up with a good risk assessment -- especially since set points can be stored in
memory while power is down and I'm not sure if any control system aside from a
purely mechanical one, would be effective during those relatively rare times
that a mishap occurs.

I've made all of my arguments (so far) without touching on the potential of a
computer like a 486 as a platform for control and data acquisition -- all for
the price of a ....bi-metallic strip. So, after reading your reply and agreeing
with its logic, I'm still not convinced that the idea of using "obsolete"
computers is too far off base.

Mike

Kirk McLoren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A temperature controller that would not upset because
of lightning or other power line disturbance and would
not lose its settings with power supply failure may
prove superior especially if less expensive.

Thus a bimetal strip may prove best in the long run.

I am in favor of data logging and alarms via computer
but fool proof and ultra reliable control usually
means no computer.

Kirk