in answer to:

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 6:34 PM
Subject: AW: [biofuels-biz] diddly lab language...

camillo does not mention cetane once.

and when you buy gas, which is something everybody can understand, octane is clearly shown at the pump. the writing on the wall is that the same will happen with diesel. astm/nbb calls for 40, and the europeans want 50. we have that problem here in south america. brazil has lower cetane standards than argentina, so every time you cross the border to brazil in a diesel car, out comes the cetane enhancers.

I had nor reason tho mention cetane numbers. In Europe, VW requires 48 cetane for their fleet in fossil diesel, OR biodiesel according to DIN standard. That are the warranty conditions. Up to now.

and din is 49, right ?  yet astm/nbb is 40. so what happens if vw wants to sell a vehicle in the us ? will all vw diesel vehicles or engines sold in the us be void of warranty if used with us standards biodiesel, or blends of same ?

What you should be more aware of is flash point. If that comes down because you skip washing and polishing of your bd, first you can get nailing in the engine. And much worst, you may come into the reach of the dangerous goods handling standards with a flash point under 100 centigrade. (I don’t know details of US or Argentinian road transport savety regulations). And that makes permits, handling and transport a hell more comlicated and expensive. At least in Europe.

din flashpoint is actually ten percent higher, isn't it ? 110 celsius to be exact.

flash point doesn't worry me in excess, for two reasons:

1) it's probably one of the easiest standards to test (astm d 93 method), with no equipment required besides a hot plate and a thermometer. (i once did it using a butane cigarette lighter as a flame source !!!).

2) we draw excess alky by going from + 2 bar to vacuum, without lowering temp. all alky is drawn off in under fifteen minutes. we can also use agitation besides, if need be.

And the other two critical parameters IMHO are glycerides and potassium.

Left over glycerine leads to nailing again, spoils cetane results, and may also spoil the “green” benefits by adding traces of pretty poisenous compounds formed during incomplete combustion (as happens in all present engines) to exaust gases.

our experience so far is that by screening feedstock, and using pressure + temperature + an adequate amount of alky + naoh according to titration and mini batch tests, we are well within allowed din glycerine contents.

we do not recommend the use of koh (it actually invalidates our warranty), so that would not pose a problem.

Any other suggestions for our list of  “essential BD quality parameters”?

i would assume that it really depends on the end use of the biodiesel. if it's a farmer's coop making it for self-use, standards can be slack. if sale to the public at large is involved, standards carry more weight (too many lawyers around looking wanting to litigate...)

we sell our plant to end users. as long as the engine sounds and 'feels' right to them, and oil analysis doesn't show unusual wear, they're happy. with the money they save they can afford to be hazy regarding standards.

plants meant for commercial production of biodiesel are another ballgame, i suppose. i wouldn't want to get involved in that at all, camillo, so relax, and have some mead !!!

cheers, dick.

<snipping>= class. this is a public service message.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm