Hello Glenn

That's very interesting. Thankyou.

>Hello Keith
>
>You bring up some interesting points, particularly as relates to
>corporations.  As stated in your attachment,  corporations develop into
>separate entities, as if they were a diffferent species. They have developed
>an ability to  control human beings and "have become the dominant species on
>the planet."   This is a new concept to me that helps me to better understand
>the culture in which we live.

I'm glad you liked that. I like Roberto a lot, he's secretary-general
of the Philippine Greens, very clear-headed.

>The same can be said, I believe, about Federal Agencies (and about religious
>institutions with which I  have been very personally concerned  in that they
>ursurp and compromise the functions of local congregations which  ursupation
>I  strongly oppose).

Yes, I think so - different species of mammoths. They're generally
non-hostile to each other and sometimes mix rather closely, grazing
the same pastures, but I don't think they can inter-breed. They're
all very difficult to kill, but it's worth trying, LOL!

Roberto makes it quite clear that the mammoths themselves and the
people who work for them are quite different. A corporation is not at
all the sum of its employees, they're human, it isn't.

>The same can be said, I suppose, about what appears to
>be a natural trend these days of groups to "get themselves organized."   In
>each case the individual and regional group can very quickly lose control of
>their own destiny, become submerged in the corporate organization, and be
>expected to adopt and give priority to the corporate goal(s).   .
>
>A case can be made, I believe, that the role and responsibilities of the
>individual,  and local/regional organizations are being very widely
>marginalized, minimized, and even eliminated.   These extra organizations
>take on a life of their own, and they control, modiy, and depersonalize the
>human beings over which they have cognizance.  One has to be officially
>blessed  by the super organization in order to wheel and deal.  One's
>initiatives are evaluated  solely in terms of whether  they further the
>particular mission and/or its founder's goals.  Individual initiatives are
>minimized and even discouraged.  Everything must be done in the name of the
>sponsoring agency, and the icorporations smaller units whether they be
>sub-agency units or individuals exist only to be directed and to provide
>funding to the sponsoring agency.  The agency, whether they be corporation,
>Federal Agency, or sponsoring  religious agency receives all the glory.  This
>leaves very little room for regional, local, or individual initiatives or
>attention to their own priorities.  .

This is quite pertinent to biofuels issues. Damn, this is going to
get a bit long. I'll cut the rest of your message Glenn, but I very
much agree with you, and thanks for the enlightenment.

A couple of months ago this was posted to the Biofuel list:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=14775&list=BIOFUEL

I wrote a reply but didn't post it, for some reason. Steve Spence did
reply: "Actually this is exactly what we do with this forum....."

Steve's right, though there are some differences. This was the reply
I never posted:

> [...]
>
>I've no idea what the growth figures might be, there's no way of
>telling, but I'd say it's huge, and very widespread, pretty much
>global.
>
>This kind of pattern has great strength. For a start, once it's
>reached a certain point it's difficult to control it or take it
>over, or to stop it, or even to stop it spreading. It's certainly
>well past that critical point now. It is difficult in some
>countries, where there are too many regulations that don't serve any
>good purpose, and it's even illegal in various ways, but that
>doesn't seem to stop people doing it anyway. To legislate against it
>and enforce the legislation would probably be too expensive
>politically, not worth the candle - biofuellers can be quite noisy
>of they want to be, so can environmentalists, and there would be
>some embarrassing issues involved. Most governments are committed to
>cutting CO2 emissions and cleaning up the air, what could be their
>justification for clamping down on effective individual efforts like
>DIY biodiesel? Newspapers like stories like that (as we showed in
>Hong Kong).
>
>For the most part it's probably easiest just not to notice us, and I
>think that's mostly what happens. We're very difficult to measure,
>or even to estimate, which helps. Meanwhile we grow. Big Oil doesn't
>notice us, or not much, we're beneath their attention. For now
>anyway. Big Biofuels doesn't notice us much either, for the most
>part. In the US they tend to sneer at us a bit, saying we can't
>guarantee quality (yes we can), while admitting we're useful, for
>such purposes as "demonstrating community support" to the suits in
>City Hall and so on. They also admit we're more effective than they
>are at promoting biodiesel, for all their advertising budgets and
>lobbying. And they've started to make it tough for small operators
>to sell on-road fuel - tough or impossible without affiliating to
>them, which costs big bucks. Mainly they're Big Soy interests with a
>marketing plan, they want control. It's not established that they're
>within their rights, but they'll probably get away with it, things
>being the way they are.
>
>It won't stop us though, just hamper us a bit. Local groups will
>continue to grow and to spread, more and more farmers will make
>their own fuel, form coops for wider distribution for off-road use.
>We keep pushing local efforts, local self-reliance, community-level
>energy initiatives, bioregionalism and so on.
>
>So, frankly, sod alternative fuel development under the direction of
>the ogolopoly of energy companies, if we wait for them the sky will
>fall on our heads first (maybe literally!). We're what's happening,
>not them.
>
>In fact I'm a bit surprised more people haven't been studying this
>model. It's fascinating, with some very interesting and optimistic
>implications. But I don't mind - it's a quiet revolution. The

Maybe that last bit was why I didn't post it - the quieter the
better. Thor Skov, also a member of this list, posted a comment a bit
later that I really liked (hey Thor!):

>I just want to say how important what you all are doing here is (I'm
>just an interested bystander). Closed-system fuel production, on a
>local or small regional scale, tied to local resources, using
>accessible technologies, and dependent on entrepreneurial innovation
>combined with open-source information exchange--it's AWESOME. Keep
>up the good work everyone, before the planet fries.

That's a right handy summing up, IMO. Maybe we can't dump an asteroid
on the mammoths' heads before they dump the sky on ours, but maybe we
can simply outgrow them - I mean real growing, like nature does it,
not just gross expansion of control, the mammoths' version of growth.
I think the corps and mega-bureaucracies and the other out-of-control
institutions (World Bank, IMF) are almost as anachronistic as the
real mammoths, but they're powerful enough to drag the past along
with them, wrecking the future. Do you remember that line, I don't
know where it came from: "What if they had a war and nobody came?"
Same with this: what if nobody came?

We'll see.

It occurs to me that, as a group, backyard biofuelers have probably
saved a lot more carbon than the US government has. Well, they
haven't saved any, have they? Is there a government that's saved more
carbon than we have? I wonder. What I like about it is that it's
impossible to prove. We're invisible. Mammoths can't see us.

Regards

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/Ey.GAA/9bTolB/TM