From: Michael Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 7:43 PM
To: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] skin on biodiesel

Padraig,

Thanks for the information.

We have a locomotive in Thailand running 300 kilometres a day on a 50:50
blend of
biodiesel:petrodiesel. The biodiesel in primarily methyl stearate because it
is made from
the waxy solid stearin/palmitin that separates out of the olein in the palm
oil. We've even
had it analysed by gel chromatography. In 1983, I had a student here in New
Zealand
making biodiesel from tallow (which is also primarily stearin).

[Hey Keith! Perhaps I am the real "Father of Biodiesel in New Zealand"! Now
what I need
is a second-rate journalist to do my PR . . . . ]

If there are any "drying oils" present in the oil (such as linseed, fish or
flax-oil), oxidation of
the relevant unsaturated fatty acids can be expected to form a polymeric
film on the
biodiesel/air interface. It reforms every time the surface is broken until
it is all reacted with
the air. I wonder if that could be an alternative explanation?

Wendell, what do you think? Could there be any unreacted and unsaturated FFA
present?

Padraig! Glad to hear you got the paper OK!
E-mail from southern Thailand was just slightly less reliable than it is
from here in New
Zealand.

Regards

Michael Allen

11/12/02 01:21:31, "goat industries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Michael Allen's question: What makes you so sure it is methyl stearate? Do
>you have a reference for this perhaps?
>
>This conclusion is one of my own drawn through my own experiences with
>making biodiesel from waste oil. There is no research reference that I know
>of.  What do you think it is?
>
>By the way, did you ever receive that paper I sent you entitled "Kinetics
of
>Palm Oil
>Transesterification In a Batch Reactor" by D. Darnoko & Munir Cheryan ?
>
>Yes thanks! I did!
>

>Biofuels at Journey to Forever
>Biofuel at WebConX
>http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm