The skin will be mono/diglycerides that have not been reacted. If you work it
out stoichometrically (using molar quantities from a known fatty acid profile)
your yield of products should be:

(Esters) minus (glycerol) minus (catalyst) minus (molar excess of MeOH).

So you if have less esters than a predited (molar) yield of esters with skin
forming you are therefore running sub-optimally.

Diglycerides should be soluble in the ester layer, monoglycerides solubilise in
water.

Dave

rpg wrote:

> [...]

David Preskett, BSc (Hons.), AIWSc