----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] skin on biodiesel

> Hi Paul, Michael
>
> How do you maintain the heat during the processing hour, Paul?

Keith as this is trully a bucket method of temporary production I don't
maintain the 55 deg. The plastic bucket loses heat slowly.

> You're using an aqueous solution of catalyst to make methoxide?

Yes

> Wouldn't draining off the glycerine as soon as possible also drain
> off some excess methanol?

By "draining off as soon as possible" I mean after the final settling after
last stirring, reaction should have gone as far as it can go by then without
further heat and stirring. Methanol excess to reaction will have dispersed
itself in both BD and glycerine. If there is to be no further reaction, the
more excess methanol that comes off in the glycerine the better.

> And doesn't severe emulsification during washing indicate high levels
> of unconverted materials?

That seems to be the general concensus, would say that the higher levels of
alkali ensure better reaction, this of course could be specific to my
production methods and trials, a more complete reaction process may produce
the same results with lower levels of alkali.

>SG and viscosity testing won't necessarily  give you an indication of that.

No, the production of lower SG and viscosity was quoted as an observation of
what also happens with higher than titration indicated alkali levels.

Regards,   Paul Gobert

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm