Ken wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the long subject line but, I thought it may aid in archive
> searches... Is there a home remedy to creating a double wall heat exchange?
> I have contemplated buying two sizes of copper tubing, inserting the smaller
> inside the larger and bending the two simultaneously. I could see how the
> inner tubing might kink or flatten out but, I think that would be unlikely
> unless I tried to bend too tight of a radius. Is there a better home-builder
> solution? Perhaps there is an affordable storage tank commercially available
> that makes building a backyard heat exchange mute anyway.? I'm going to need
> to come up with a storage tank anyway. I understand the theoretical
> pros/cons to internal and external heat exchanges but, what are the
> real-world practical differences?

Disclaimer - I have not tried this myself.
I have read (somewhere) that if you start with straight tubing, then pack sand
between the two tubes before making your bends, this will avoid/ reduce kinking
in
the inner tube.  Of course, the trick is probably getting all the sand out
again
before plumbing this new arrangement into the lines.

If I end up going this route (double-wall) some day in the future, I think I
will
put two coils into an exchange tank instead.  One coil provides the heat input
from
the solar collectors, the other coil provides the heat input to the
conventional
hot water tank.  The tank will have a sealable lid, and a lot of insulation.
Both
coils will be immersed in water in the tank.  This way, the lid can be removed
for
inspections, and the coils can be removed fairly easily for repairs.

To date, my solar water pre-heaters are in-line, so no heat exhangers required.

Darryl McMahon
--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?