Hello Tom

>   I've been gardening for over 30 years by essentially "building
>dirt" and caring for my plants from the ground up.

Good for you! Thirty years in the same place?

>I've been know to chop off a weed's head now and again or yank them
>from the ground. I've squished "bugs" by the thousands and lured
>others to deadly traps. I've never used a spray that has any real
>obvious results (dead insects or "weeds").
>   I've been splitting my glycerine co-product into FFA's, potassium
>(and some sodium) phosphate, and crude glycerine.
>   Yesterday I sprayed FFA's on some weeds in an area of the garden
>that hasn't been turned yet. Today they appear to be dying. It
>didn't seem to discriminate ... dandelions, wild mustard, plantain,
>grass .... all withering.
>   I'm a bit taken back. The sprays I concoct from chives, peppers,
>mulberry leaves etc. are intended to repel/discourage pests. I don't
>see any corpses. It's more a matter of faith or delusion that they
>are working ... I don't care which.

I think they discourage rather than kill, either directly or by
strengthening the plant's resistance.

>Weeds involve physical removal and discouragement with thick mulch.
>     The "weeds" sprayed w. FFA's appear to be in serious trouble
>only 24 hrs after spraying. What is the mechanism of FFA action on
>plants? Does it act on the lipid component of the cell membranes? Is
>it systemic or just act on the point of contact - the leaves. If it
>only acts on the leaves, will new shoots be sent up?
>     If FFA's are non-toxic, biodegradable, and effective weed
>killers, it would be very good news to an aging gardener who turns
>each section of the garden by hand, meticulously picking out the
>weeds. I don't mind the turning, countless tons of compost over the
>years has turned shallow hard-pan clay into beautiful rich soil that
>takes little effort to turn. It's the bending to pick the "weeds"
>that gets to my back.
>     I believe Todd Swearingen and Prof. Bob Allen have both
>mentioned FFA's as weed killer.

Also Ken Provost.

You ask the same questions I do. I've been wanting to run some
side-by-side trials of FFA, raw by-product and vinegar, especially of
FFA, but I'm put off by not knowing the mechanism, especially whether
it's systemic or point-of-contact, and its residual effect on the
soil life before it breaks down. What will FFA do to something like
mycorrhizal fungi? I know that raw by-product kills worms,
unsurprisingly, I expect FFA will too. So I'm reluctant to use it.

Best

Keith