>> Many people compost the glycerine cocktail w/o any treatment. I think
>> this is best done when KOH is used as the caustic rather than NaOH.

Tom,

I don't believe they're actually composting it. But they think they're
composting it. The methanol fraction is toxic and the soap/oil fraction will
smother almost everything.

Jason & Katie,

At the level of home manufacture, about the best you can hope for is to create
co-/waste-products that are essentially benign, as the amount of effort and
infrastructure needed to refine the side-streams is phenomenal and beyond the
reach of the average or above average home brewer.

What you need are end products that can be disposed of without threat to the
environment. Rather than seeking out the million and one possibilities and
options, the suggestion would be to keep it simple.

Potassium hydroxide and phosphoric acid are as simple as you can get on the
base side and for FFA recovery, with sulfuric acid for the acid pre-treatment
of high FFA oils.

Other acid and caustic combinations only leave you with less than useful, if
not toxic, salts.

Todd Swearingen