Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> Somehow, I doubt the wolves posess much danger to the elk and deer
> populations long term,

Actually they help restore balance to the areas, to a more natural
existence when they evolved together this is true, But when you take
wolves away for a hundred years then spring them back in you put the
ungulates at a terrible disadvantage and as a result you have some areas
that are now void of them as a result - No that does not mean they will
kill them all or will it stay that way,but now we are asking ungulates
to catch up on 100 years of evolution that the wolves never missed out
on. What it means is change for everything concerned.  I think in
another 100 years the balance will return and in places like Yellowstone
we will see many benefits and some benefits are happening right now.

> as they evolved together.  They weren't a "problem" for thousands and
> thousands of years.  Putting domestic animals that were relatively
> easy to kill, and that we "owned" in place of the native game was when
> the problem began.  It's sort of like leaving all your food out on the
> ground in bear country, and then claiming the bears are the problem.
> We've compounded it by reducing habitat for the wild game, so the
> wolves learn to eat other prey that they normally wouldn't.

Actually the biggest problem is not the Wolf eating Cows and Sheep, That
will put many of the poor and small farmers out of business in time but
the Monforts will afford protection.  The BIG problem is how they can re
distribute the Ungulate populations as they leave areas they once fled
to for protection. The opposite is now happening , Ungulates are fleeing
to the agricultural areas as they are protected now from hunters most of
the year there.This affords them temporary protection from Wolves.  It
is on these crop lands that the Elk and Deer find ample food and
protection, at least until the Wolf expands his range.  So then we plan
to hunt the wolf.  That plan just affords the elk protection to
overpopulate and we have Millions of dollars in damages on crop lands,
And wolves forced into the Badlands by hunters, will survive  just fine
on ample grazing livestock. So it is a loose loose situation for the
Livestock or crop producer.  The Feds provide no relief to the producers
for the damages and only the big corporate producers will survive this
human inflicted mess. We hunters will kill wolves as we are allowed, but
until you understand how much damage one wolf can do, you will never
understand that hunting as a control is to little to late.  It took
Hunters, trappers, and cyanide getter guns 70 years to push the wolf
back in the early days.  It is just humorous to think that the that the
plan is to hunt them for a control measure.  When the wolf gets
established in the badlands, that control will be about as effective as
a fly swatter for mosquitoes.

> It a classic case of overpopulation of an atypical food species, which
> is usually kept in check by an increase in predators that can eat
> them, but normally don't.  It's just rather uncomfortable to find that
> we and our livestock are the food species in this equation, instead of
> some hapless field mice or such.

When you take an Equation eliminate 7 variables, add 10 new ones,
eliminate 2 that can never be restored, because of the first 7 then add
back 5 of the first,  the equation will never return the results it did
before the original intervention. As a result we will never know the
land as Lewis and Clark did.

Global Warming will probably wipe out these folks much faster so it is a
moot point anyway.

> That being said, I don't relish being eaten, so I think that killing
> wolves that learn that humans are potential prey would probably be a
> good idea.  Long term, it's not going to solve anything since we've
> caused the situation.  But long term, it wouldnt be good for wolves to
> learn that humans are prey, even after they have their native game back.

Yes I agree,  Thats why I carry a BIG stick.  I hope I don't sound
scorching or preaching, I don't intend it if I do, I simply want to make
the point this is not a simple problem we have created for ourselves.

Jim