Oh wait, now I'm confused...I thought you were making BD from the sheep, but now it is the wolves???  Little Red Riding Hood  couldn't keep up.

On 8/7/06, Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
well.... there was the thread a while ago about making biodiesel from cats, and I recall we were going to turn Keith into biodiesel, so I imagine you could use wolves too.........

On 8/7/06, Mike Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yeah, whatever.  Can you make biodiesel out of them?

Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> Somehow, I doubt the wolves posess much danger to the elk and deer
> populations long term, as they evolved together.  They weren't a
> "problem" for thousands and thousands of years.  Putting domestic
> animals that were relatively easy to kill, and that we "owned" in
> place of the native game was when the problem began.  It's sort of
> like leaving all your food out on the ground in bear country, and then
> claiming the bears are the problem.  We've compounded it by reducing
> habitat for the wild game, so the wolves learn to eat other prey that
> they normally wouldn't.  It a classic case of overpopulation of an
> atypical food species, which is usually kept in check by an increase
> in predators that can eat them, but normally don't.  It's just rather
> uncomfortable to find that we and our livestock are the food species
> in this equation, instead of some hapless field mice or such.
>
> That being said, I don't relish being eaten, so I think that killing
> wolves that learn that humans are potential prey would probably be a
> good idea.  Long term, it's not going to solve anything since we've
> caused the situation.  But long term, it wouldnt be good for wolves to
> learn that humans are prey, even after they have their native game back.
>
> On 8/7/06, *Kirk McLoren* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     I lived in Montana for many years and some people still remember
>     the effort and expense we went to to remove them. Just remember
>     those midwest feedlots often fatten calves from Montana Dakota
>     Idaho Wyoming. They would be hard pressed to find stock without
>     those producers. That is what will happen if nothing is done. That
>     60 ewes I quoted was as of last May, I dont have more recent info
>     as we sold our home back there.
>     When the game are gone then they hunt domestic animals. We are in
>     that transition now.
>     So far they just pay the rancher for the carcasses. I havent seen
>     much re control.
>     I think it reasonable they will become the problem they once were.
>     They are still wolves and do what wolves do.
>     Predators are predators.
>     Kirk
>

>     */DHAJOGLO <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>>/* wrote:
>     Kirk,
>     I can't tell from your comment on this article whether you feel
>     issues with wolves are dealt with improperly or if you feel the
>     meat industry is going to take a real beating from them. We have
>     wolves here in Minnesota and the farmers truly hate them. However,
>     seeing as how the northern states make up a smaller percentage of
>     beef production, it seems the wolf impact would be negligible.
>     Looking at the USDA site, it appears that the beef populations
>     would have to take a significant hit (in the order of hundreds of
>     thousands) to really be impacted. Also, reading the post by
>     Richard, he seems more concerned about the game populations and
>     our safety.

> [...]

Thanks,
PC

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch

The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid moves which make us wonder at the possibility that there may be something to them which we are missing. - Gamal Abdel Nasser