howdy Johnathan ( you better sit down)

Jonathan Hardin wrote:
> Actually Terry I think you ment that Kirk was right.   Herbs are
> produced by plants which, for the most part have a comparitively similar
> biological system (we have 50% the same DNA as a Bananna).  That is they
> produce only one of the two isomers (L instead of both D and L like you
> would normally get in a lab).   The D isomer is 'usually' the one that
> causes problems.

no disrespect but nonsense. D and L are terms which relate to the
stereochemistry of something only by proxy. (It is a long story)

  The morning sickness pill back in the 70's I think it
> was.

  I do: thalidomide, and it is a nonissue because under physiological
conditions, the good (or bad) form racemises  to the bad (or good)- in
this case. But this is just one case.

  Can't remember its name off the top of my head.  The one that
> caused all the birth defects; the birth defects were caused by one
> isomer, the morning sickness was cured by the other.   The only
> difference between the two?   A hydrogen atom faced a different
> direction on one as compaired to the other.    Isolate the isomer that
> helps with morning sickness and you don't get the birth defects.
> That said, it is very expensive to seperate isomers, so the drug
> companies, and the FDA by implication let them stay in their mixture
> unless the side effects (usually caused by one of the isomers)

this is too general to have any real substantial meaning.  I could
type all day with expect ions to your generalizations.

  is too
> severe and the benefits of the pill too great.  Then the drug companies
> will spend the time and money to isolate the right isomer and make a
> pill with a pure form of it.     It comes down to money, and a public
> who isn't informed about this.   If the public refused to buy any drug
> that wasn't in a pure (non-racemic) form I'm sure that you'd find the
> drug companies scrambling to make pure forms of the drugs.

Again I am not trying to be mean spirited, but you know just enough to
really confuse people

  It would
> suddenly be in the best interest of their pocket-books.
>
> That said, sometimes herbs can produce chemicals our bodys don't like,
> but, those are usually poisions, so we don't usually take them.
> "Natural" isn't necessarily "safer" it's just, for the most part, a more
> pure, or less harsh form of something.

this doesn't mean much of a thing in a chemical or physiological
sense.  Take ephedra for example, low doses to some folks fine, low
doses with comprised cardiovascular system deadly.

   Many of the drugs are based off
> of the mechanisms of how the plants work, but it's the racemic mixture
> of isomers that causes the side effects.
>
> Money makes the world go round...

yes, good money is paid to people to really understand this stuff.
sorry if I sound harsh.