Hi Bob;

Sorry for the cheap shot I thought you would take it as good natured humour which is the way it was intended. Well I'm no neurologist but I thought the sensory motor cortex is where a lot of that sensation stuff goes on.  I know this because my daughter has partial seizures in that very area and she experiences pain every time she has a seizure. If accupuncture results in higher activation thresholds ( ie deactivation) in that area does that not mean effectively - anaesthesia? That was how I understood the paper but perhaps I have it all wrong. Anyways I felt it WAS the serious support for my argument that you asked for. The other comment re the herb cure was just added as an offhand remark, again with humour, not intended to change the subject or run from anything, as I said I felt I had a strong reference as it was.

Cheers
Joe

bob allen wrote:
Joe Street wrote:

Hey that's a nifty bit of editing you did there Bob!  I like the way you
cut it off just before the bit that said the actual acupuncture affected
the activation level of the sensory cortex significantly MORE than the
sham group .....here

"However, real EA elicited significantly higher activation than sham EA
over the hypothalamus and primary somatosensory–motor cortex and
deactivation over the rostral segment of anterior cingulate cortex."

I edited at this point as the following does not describe the
aforementioned pain- related neuromatrix, but rather other sites.

   Translated: we didn't find activity where we think pain is involved,
but look at what we found, regardless, none of this confirms that
acupuncture works as an anesthetic.

BTW do you work for the ministry of truth? ROFL. Maybe you could make
more money writing historical fiction for bushco....

please, this is a cheap shot and unnecessary

   No I haven't had

surgery with acupuncture anaesthetic.  But I do have a testimonial about
how a chinese herbalist

You're changing the subject Joe.  I have yet to see you respond to my
calling for data to support your claim that acupuncture is used for
anesthesia in major surgery.  Come on, where the support for your claim.

cured me of an illness that I suffered for 6

months and western treatments were worse than ineffective.  But I know
you won't be interested in that. No doubt I was just about to get better
on my own and happened to take that herbal tea coincidentally at that
time. LMAO. OK OK.  lets just drop the subject I guess.  We each have
our own viewpoints and leave it at that.

we already quite herbs but now you bring them back.  The subject is
proof of the use of acupuncture for major surgery.  A pretty simple premise

Joe

bob allen wrote:

Joe Street wrote:

Ok Bob, maybe you'll like this:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ap/ni/2002/00000016/00000004/art01145

much better, but a far cry from supporting your claim that major surgery
is done with only acupuncture as an anesthetic. The abstract describes a
method of observing electrical activity in the brain due to being poked
with needles.

"Recently, neuronal correlates of acupuncture stimulation in human brain
have been investigated by functional neuroimaging. The preliminary
findings suggest that acupuncture at analgesic points involves the
pain-related neuromatrix and may have acupoint–brain correlation...

Fifteen healthy volunteers received real EA at analgesic point
Gallbladder 34 (Yanglinquan), sham EA, and one of either mock EA or
minimal EA over the left leg in counter-balanced orders. Multisubject
analysis showed that sham EA and real EA both activated the reported
distributed pain neuromatrix...

what this says to me is that the placebo worked as well as the
treatment.  This is a far cry from your claim.

You asked me if I have had general anesthesia, so now its my turn:  have
you had surgery which utilized acupuncture for anesthesia?  Or do you
know anybody personally that has?  You made a specific claim and so far
have provided no evidence other than the hearsay given below.  I am not
trying to be obtuse here, I am just demanding a high level of evidence,
consistent with the scientific method.

I hope that is scientific enough for you on the efficacy issue, but my
point was that if surgery can be performed without anaesthetic it's got
to be better.
I am told by Chinese students here ( which there are a lot....none of
them are terrorists that I know of....lol) that lots of surgical
procedures are done with accupuncture anaesthesia in China.

Joe

bob allen wrote:

Howdy Joe, is this your support for the efficacy of acupuncture?  sure
there are side effects from the use of general anesthesia, but that is
not the discussion here.  You made a claim that major operations are
done using only acupuncture as the anesthetic.  I personally doubt it
but am open to discussion if you provide some evidence. Just because you
or someone else says so, doesn't make it so.  here a a site I found,

http://www.ebm-first.com/?cat=34

you show me what you have.

Joe Street wrote:

Hey Bob;

Ever been under general anaesthesia?

yes, a couple of years ago for repair of a "game keepers thumb"

  Remember how you felt when you

came around?

groggy

  Did you puke?
no

Like the worst hangover you ever had?

not at all
   Now

you're gonna argue with me that recovering from a  wound isn't gonna be
easier without having to deal with being poisoned to the brink of death
for a few hours on top of the injury?  Come off it man. Do I really have
to go get references for this?

you made a claim about acupuncture, I have seen very little scientific
evidence of it working and I certainly don't buy the explanation of how
it works.

It's a waste of time for something so

obvious.  I saw lots of people looking sick as hell in the recovery room
last time I was there, but that's anecdotal of course. LOL

this has nothing to do with the claim of the efficacy of acupuncture as
a general anesthetic for major surgery.  Do you have a reference or two
to support your claim?

Joe

bob allen wrote:

Joe Street wrote:

Hi Bob;

snip

explanation for acupuncture but they do major operations without
anaesthetic and recoveries are better without poisoning the body with
anaesthetic.

ok I'll bite, show me the data that supports this claim non-testimonial
please.