I am still left with a concern: if acupuncture really can be used in
place of anesthesia, why isn't its use more widespread, particularly
in western, or at least (US)for profit medicine?  As far as I am aware,
malpractice insurance is the highest for anesthesiologists, for the
reasons mention here before- sedating a person is a risky business. If
you could achieve the same sedation without drugs and therefore side
effects, the practice of medicine should be much cheaper, right? which
means more profit right? Why don't we hear of more anesthesiologists
using this technique?  Or how about dentists.  A little girl died in
Chicago, due to negligence I presume, during a dental procedure
conducted under anesthetic.  Ever heard of a root canal done with
acupuncture alone?  Just curious

Keith Addison wrote:
>> could it be that acupuncture is just a very powerful application of the
>> placebo effect?
>
> No, speaking from quite extensive experience of it in East Asia. But
> then I suppose that's just a testimonial eh? Actually my experience
> of it was two-sided, both personal and investigating and writing
> about it. It's not just mumbo-jumbo, it has a sound scientific basis
> even though Western (ie allopathic) medicine doesn't see it that way.
> Acupuncture was previously a part of Western medicine, it was used
> quite extensively in both Holland and Italy and probably elsewhere in
> Europe, until the onset of Big Pharma (plus unforeseeable
> side-effects). Uh, all those unforeseeable side-effects wouldn't just
> happen to be a very powerful application of the placebo effect
> either, would they now.

actually some may be.  The nocebo effect is well known.

http://skepdic.com/nocebo.html

      *  More than two-thirds of 34 college students developed headaches
when told that a non-existent electrical current passing through their
heads could produce a headache.
     * "Japanese researchers tested 57 high school boys for their
sensitivity to allergens. The boys filled out questionnaires about past
experiences with plants, including lacquer trees, which can cause itchy
rashes much as poison oak and poison ivy do. Boys who reported having
severe reactions to the poisonous trees were blindfolded. Researchers
brushed one arm with leaves from a lacquer tree but told the boys they
were chestnut tree leaves. The scientists stroked the other arm with
chestnut tree leaves but said the foliage came from a lacquer tree.
Within minutes the arm the boys believed to have been exposed to the
poisonous tree began to react, turning red and developing a bumpy, itchy
rash. In most cases the arm that had contact with the actual poison did
not react." (Gardiner Morse, "The nocebo effect," Hippocrates, November
1999, Hippocrates.com)
     * In the Framingham Heart Study, women who believed they are prone
to heart disease were nearly four times as likely to die as women with
similar risk factors who didn't believe.* (Voelker, Rebecca. "Nocebos
Contribute to a Host of Ills." Journal of the American Medical
Association 275 no. 5 (1996): 345-47. ) [Of course, one might argue that
the women in both groups had good intuitions. The objective risk factors
may have been the same, but subjectively the women knew their bodies
better than the objective tests could reveal.]
     * C.K. Meador claimed that people who believe in voodoo may
actually get sick and die because of their belief ("Hex Death: Voodoo
Magic or Persuasion?" Southern Medical Journal 85, no. 3 (1992): 244-47).
     * "In one experiment, asthmatic patients breathed in a vapor that
researchers told them was a chemical irritant or allergen. Nearly half
of the patients experienced breathing problems, with a dozen developing
full-blown attacks. They were “treated” with a substance they believed
to be a bronchodilating medicine, and recovered immediately. In
actuality, both the “irritant” and the “medicine” were a nebulized
saltwater solution."*

Arthur Barsky, a psychiatrist at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital,
found in a recent review of the nocebo literature that patient
expectation of adverse effects of treatment or of  possible harmful
side-effects of a drug, played a significant role in the outcome of
treatment (Barsky et al. 2002).

Since patients' beliefs and fears may be generated by just about
anything they come in contact with, it may well be that many things that
are unattended to by many if not most physicians, such as the color of
the pills they give, the type of uniform they wear, the words they use
to give the patient information, the kind of room they place a patient
in for recovery, etc., may be imbued with rich meaning for the patient
and have profound effects for good or for ill on their

> Best
>
> Keith
>

>> D. Mindock wrote:
>>> I saw a documentary last year on acupuncture. I saw a guy flat on his back
>>> in the OR
>>> with his lower abdomen wide open. He was talking to the surgical team as
>>> they worked
>>> on him.  I myself have had acupuncture for a several different
>> problems. One
>>> was where
>>> I burst the bursar sacs (I heard the suckers pop) behinds my knees while
>>> doing deep knee bends (don't try this)
>>> with 100 lb barbell on my shoulders. After that, I could only
>> hobble around.
>>> The doc gave me pain
>>> pills and crutches. Crutches are no picnic. They were killing my armpits.
>>> After a couple
>>> days of painful knees and armpits, a friend suggested acupuncture. When I
>>> saw the size
>>> of the needles I felt queasy. But when the acupuncturist stick in
>> that first
>>> needle in the knee
>>> I saw white light and then all the pain was gone. Same with the other knee.
>>> He stuck some
>>> more needles into the shins. After 15 minutes or so, he pulled the needles
>>> out. I walked out
>>> of the office pain-free, carrying my crutches. A few days later the pain
>>> came back, as he said
>>> it might and so I had two followups. Acupuncture was better than crutches
>>> and pain pills
>>> which only made me groggy and did nothing much for pain. Acupuncture did
>>> give
>>> permanent relief. I believe in acupuncture but I'm sure that
>> success depends
>>> on the skill of the
>>> practioner. The needles are not stuck in random locations but are precisely
>>> placed on meridians
>>> and I think that there are spots on the meridian that are
>> targeted depending
>>> on the problem.
>>> These meridians of energy flow have been verified with specialized
>>> electronic equipment. They really exist.
>>> How did the ancient practioners know of this? I think through highly tuned
>>> perceptual powers.
>>> Peace, D. Mindock

Bob Allen
http://www.ozarker.org/bob