On Dec 23, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Luke Hansen wrote:

> Granted, the van is one heavy piece of detroit steel,
> but what exactly is the hang-up? Voltage? Total
> weight? I'm guessing that most of the batterys' charge
> is used in overcoming inertia, right?

There's an optimal ratio of battery weight to total weight--
can't remember the number now, but Darryl probably
knows. I know the Honda Civic I converted (and drove
for a few years) had around 900 lbs of lead-acid batteries
(Optima Yellow Tops). I think the problem with a van is
just that you'd need so many batteries even to successfully
keep up with traffic, the total weight would be too high to
handle well.

If I ever did another electric vehicle, it would be a tricycle
with spoked wheels and a tubular aluminum or carbon-
fiber frame.

-K