  From: Tom Thiel
  To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] WVO in Diesel Generators

  Regarding starting motors in our off-grid woodshop: we treat 1
  horsepower motors as intermittent-use, starting and stopping them at
  will. Larger motors are paired with a 1 horsepower motor to start each
  machine. After it is up to speed, the main motor is turned on. This
  system reduces the start-loading of the large motors almost down to
  full load amp rating, and its elapsed time to less than a second, since
  the rotor is already spinning.

  If he has an inverter / battery system, the battery bank will charge
  variably as (headroom) power is available, reducing the light-load wet
  stacking potential in the system.

  I await the SVO discussion with great interest.

  Tom Thiel