Kirk McLoren wrote:

>   If you want cheaper food you have to break the stranglehold the
> corporations have on distribution.

I'm sorry, but this level of rhetoric is just getting to be too much for me.

Cheaper food? You want CHEAPER food?

The base food in the US is already so cheap, that folks go out
of businesses trying to produce it. Cheaper?

The most sensible discussion I've ever heard on the cost of food
revolved around keeping the price of food artificially low, so
that only large scale industrial approaches could be considered
viable, and low production high quality (read small farm) approaches
were doomed to economic failure.

This approach 'frees' up lots of 'consumer dollars' to go other more
important things, like HDTVs and iPhones, new SUVs, granite counter
topped trophy kitchens (that never get used) rather than nutrition and
health.

Please note that I am only speaking of the USA. My first hand knowledge
outside there is really weak. I've not even set foot outside the USA
in over 20 years.

Stranglehold? You mean the stranglehold of desiring only the one
criteria of cheap perhaps. That's the only stranglehold I see them
having.

To grow high quality food is time consuming, and labor intensive.

You want it to be cheaper too?

So, the folks who work their asses off 50 weeks out of the year, 7 days
a week should earn less for their efforts at bringing nutritious high
quality food to market?

last time I was at a farmers market (and I go about every week) I didn't
see any corporation there strangling people.

But then again, the food wasn't cheap.

It was fairly priced.

Sorry, but that line really pushed my buttons.