-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Chip Mefford
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:18 AM
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Consumers can and will pay more for food

Chris Burck wrote:
> artificially low prices and control of distribution are two sides of
> the same coin.  from seed to shelf, the same entities are running the
> game.  i didn't hear anyone suggesting farmer's markets are corporate
> controlled.

No.

What was suggested was that 'corporations' have a stranglehold on
distribution, and you want cheap food you have to break that
stranglehold.

That's what was not just suggested, that was clearly stated.

So, Farmer's Markets are not distribution then?

If there is no corporate stranglehold on Farmer's Markets, then
the food there should be cheaper, yes?

No. Food outside the corporate stranglehold isn't cheaper, it's
more expensive, it's also higher quality, better tasting and
considerably healthier.

It's all well and good to sit back and yell about corporate
strangleholds and all that. Sure, there is plenty there to
yell about. At the end of the day, guess what? It doesn't matter.
If you haven't learned yet that 'corporations' aren't acting
in your best interest, then you just aren't going to learn it.

In most places in the US, you can source your food from within
your own 'food shed'. Yeah, that means no grapes for 89 cents a
pound in February, and you'll pay a serious premium for indoor
grown tomatoes this time of year. But if you canned the ones you
got when they were in season, you won't care.

Heck, you could grow some of it yourself.

Is anyone on the list involved in the making of ethanol?

If so are you producing it for personal use?

Selling on a small scale?

If selling, how did you get around the testing issues that forces out Thomas
Leue from Ashford to close his fryer-oil refinery after the Environmental
Protection Agency refused to allow him to register his biodiesel fuel and
sell it to power vehicles unless he first tests its health effects?

Are you using at still or are you making ethanol from cellolose by acid
hydrolysis?

>From the archive I saw: "Producing ethanol from cellolose by acid hydrolysis
is a long-established method still used all over the world, and it's still
the only method available to backyarders, though that could change anytime
with new enzymes and new techniques being developed."

So are there any backyarders here using this method?  If so, how is it
working for you?

Has this changed with new enzymes and or techniques as the original post
implied are are we still waiting?

If using a still, is corn the main feedstock for "backyarders"?