On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 3:45:31 PM, skatethere wrote:

s> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well I see how they reach all the musical symbols now in unicode.
>>
>> The combine pieces together or they use symbols from elsewhere in
s> the
>> unicode set.
>>
>> Which means I have now no idea how I will get unicode =feta
>> so can I do this?
>>
>> 1D19C STROKE-2 + 1d1a0 STROKE-6 +1D19D STROKE-3    MORDENT

s> If you mean, can you make an SVG glyph that combines several other
s> glyphs, I don't know how to do so without combining the paths
s> manually. I don't know how to make a compound glyph. Perhaps ChrisL
s> can make a recommendation.

Note that, unlike say TrueType, there is no requirement that glyph paths
in SVG are a single non-intersecting shape. Even in SVG Tiny, you can
have a self-intersecting and disjoint shape.

In SVG Full you can put anything as a child of a glyph that you could
put as a child of a g. So, in your example above, if you already had
paths with ids on for the three glyphs, you could make a compound glyph
with three use elements plus any transforms needed to position and size
them relative to one another.

>> if this is the way I am still stuck with the symbols that are not
>> unique to music but not standard for regular fonts.

s> Yup. I don't see an easy way to reconcile Feta with the Unicode
s> charset.

(Unicode is a character coding scheme, not a charset, but the difference
does not matter much in this discussion).

s>  It sure would be nice if the Lilypond creators had considered
s> that when designing the fonts.

It would. However, you can use altglyph to get at glyphs for characters
which have no standardized Unicode character or need a special glyph.

s> I don't know enough about private codepage definition to make a
s> recommendation on how to proceed when the approved codepages don't
s> suit your purpose.

Yes, PUA is another possibility.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM