Hi, Jerry-

Thinking more about your proposal, how about instead of a square, you call
it 'regularPoly', and add a parameter to indicate the number of sides. So,
you'd have:

<regularPoly cx='30' cy='50' sides='4' length='15' />

That way you could have a broadly applicable element that lets you easily
create regular polygons, a commmon use case which can be rather tricky to
do, and you get some semantics out of the deal. An equilateral triangle
would be 3 sides, a pentagon 5, a hex 6, octogon 8, etc. I'd further propose
that there be a 'rotation' attribute, with values '0' or '1'; '0' would mean
that the edge would be parallel to the x-axis, '1' would mean that one of
the corners would be pointing up instead (that is, a line between the
centerpoint and one of the vertices would be parallel to the y-axis), like
so:

<regularPoly cx='100' cy='50' sides='6' edge='15' rotation='1' />

There could be a DOM API to locate the x/y-coordinates of the corner points,
and you could use markers at those points, too.

See, I told you I was missing the big picture! :) I think that this would be
extremely useful.

Regards-
Doug

p.s. If I were going to be crazy, I would say that you could set sides='1'
and get a circle with a circumference equal to the edge length.

doug . schepers  @ vectoreal.com
www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.