On 26 Mar 2005, at 11:10, John Dowdell wrote:

> Dean Jackson wrote:
>
> Dean, Yoshi is trying to view SVG-Tiny content on mobiles in Japan.

Yes. I also heard him say he wanted to view content worldwide.
[[[
   We want to publish SVGT fomat worldwide, not other fomat.
   Thank-you for worldwide web search in my requirement.
   We will publishing worldwide contnet of SVGT for open customers. I
   will response corpoirate customer of Japan with open standard
   solution.
]]]

>  Do
> you have any info which can help him?

Don and Antoine have replied on this.

>> Maybe Macromedia should offer its SVG-Tiny rendering tool
>> stand-alone (without Flash Lite). I don't know how the price of
>> Flash Lite with SVG compares to the many conformant SVG-Tiny
>> implementations, but surely leaving out the Flash Lite component
>> would make it cheaper.
>
> ??  Rendering SVG-Tiny XML is just an ability of the general-purpose
> Macromedia Flash Lite libraries.

Ah, I hadn't realised this. Gee, I understand why this would
be the quickest way for you to get SVG support, but I doubt it
will easily maintainable. Will you do the same for scripting in
SVG (translate to Actionscript with appropriate wrappers around
the native swf objects)?

Unless Macromedia doesn't have any plans to continue its SVG support?

Then there is the question of performance. You're effectively
implementing a virtual machine for SVG on a device with limited
processing power while your competitors are doing it natively.

> (In Europe SVG was forced
> via 3GPP, but I haven't seen as much interest in Asia, but my knowledge
> is not complete.)

Do you mean that SVG support was forced on handset manufacturers or
forced on Macromedia?

SVG support on today's handsets was not "forced" by 3GPP. The 3GPP
members,
including the major handset manufacturers such as Nokia and Sony
Ericsson,
and the operators such as Vodafone and Orange, were the people that
developed SVG Tiny (within the W3C). They wanted an open interoperable
standard - so they made it and are now delivering it. Unfortunately
Macromedia chose not to participate in this process but I can't believe
you consider this to be "forced".

If you meant that Macromedia will only deliver SVG were you are "forced"
to then I'm glad you're listening to your customers.

> Your suggestion, above, seems impossible to
> implement... like saying "I like the seats in this automobile, but can
> we ditch the engine?"

I didn't know you'd implemented SVG on top of Flash. However, since
there
are plenty of native SVG implementations shipping on lots of handsets
I'm
surprised that Macromedia think that this is impossible.

You've got smart engineers. I'm sure they could manage it. I hear that
Macromedia are reimplementing the FlashLite engine. Maybe now is the
time to get the impossible feature request in :)

BTW - should we fix the typo in the subject?

Dean