Richard, if your users are working with older versions of Adobe Reader, you
could (as noted) embed the SVG into the PDF and expect Reader to play it
(with full animation, etc.).   However, Adobe Reader 8.1 no longer fully
supports this on all platforms.

Going forward, my recommendation is to convert to another media format that
can be embedded into PDF and played via an external player, such as
Flash/SWF, QuickTime, or Windows Media.

Leonard