Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...

At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

>...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
>full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
>no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
>commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
>operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
>SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.

Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
file.  So I decided to print from Safari instead.  I discovered to my
surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file.  I then did the same
in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.

Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
does not use it?

JD