Nice and interesting Cameron and Jonathan,

I was a bit confused, by what was going on with your script (the
defaultView in

document.getElementById("button").getSVGDocument().defaultView.set_click(but
ton_action);

threw me especially, since I didn't see that set_click lived inside one of
the SVG's.

Anyhow, I've made a slightly simpler version at

http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/SVGtoSVGinHTML.htm

It doesn't demand that any script live in the SVG, nor even that we know the
id (or in one case, even the nodeName) of the affected objects. But it is
really just a bit of play along the same theme.

What struck me, though, was the different ways that browsers handle the
sizing of my proportionally sized elements inside the <object>s. Webkit
seems to have quite different expectations about how to size an unsized
<object> tag than the other browsers. See
http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/SVGtoSVGinHTML2.htm by way of
comparison.

Three questions:

is the differing treatment of <object> by webkit a webkit bug, an HTML5 bug
or an SVG bug?

Do getSVGDocument() and contentDocument do exactly the same thing? It would
appear that they do. I used to avoid the latter since it seemed to only work
in Firefox (which it seems didn't support getSVGDocument() in some contexts
in olden days), but browsers seem happy with either now (though I didn't try
ASV).

What does defaultView do exactly and where is it documented?  I don't see it
in SVG1.1 .

Cheers

David