Pedro Quaresma wrote:

> Jim Leonard wrote:
> >Pedro Quaresma wrote:
> >
> > I thought of "habyt", "hobit", but ended up with "hobbyt", how does it
> > sound?
>
> >Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder seems to fit the bill more.
>
> You have just stated that about 50% of game collectors in the world, and
> including reknown ones like Jason P. Cobb suffer from a mental disorder.
> Bravo! You have superseeded yourself.

I myself am slightly that, as I am slightly ADD (attention deficit
disorder).  So is my wife, and we bore two children: one is autistic,
and the other has apraxia (speech delay, but thankfully nothing else).
My father is one of the world's most renouned Numismatists (coin
collector).  So I'm actually not surprised that anyone who "collects"
anything has a slight bit of a neurological disorder.

At least, that's the excuse I give my wife when I bid on a Cyborg for
$250 ;-)

> >Unless you're
> >grabbing them to resell or trade, or for parts, why would you want more
> >than 2 (1 to appreciate, the other as a backup) of the same product?
>
> If you ask questions like the one above, it makes me wonder, do you
> _really_ collect games?

Of course!  I own over 600.  But my motiviations are different than
yours (and most collectors).  I'll explain my motivations later in this
email.

> OK, here's the short answer:
>
> a) When they're different versions b) when they are sold in a bundle in
> which I wanted some other thing from it c) When it's sold really really
> really cheap.

All valid reasons.  But when you wrote 4th or 5th, you were implying
that you were grabbing 4 or 5 of the same thing, hence my question.

I purchase 2 of everything:  1 to appreciate, and the other to crack the
shrinkwrap on.  (!!!)  Yes, I break original shrinkwrap so that I can
release the game to the public domain if nobody else has.  Why do you
think the hardcore oldwarez community is so eager to get their hands on
Chris' copy of Cyborg?  Because it may very well be the last copy that
exists, and we want to copy the disk before it goes bad and fades away.
Even Michael Berlyn doesn't have a copy of his own code any more.

Sadly for us -- and detailed in an old conversation that you can look at
in the archives -- Chris and many other collectors place much less value
on the diskette than the entire package.  Me personally, if I crack open
a rare game only to find that the disk is bad, the entire thing is
nearly worthless for me.  What good is a game that you CAN'T PLAY?  :-)

Along similar lines, I like to perform "restoration" on old games:  If
the original disk is bad, I can replace it exactly with a (protected)
copy of itself from my archives, a bit-for-bit exact copy with even the
protection intact.  I also throw in a 5.25" and 3.5" disk of an
unprotected copy into the package "just in case".