Jim Leonard schrieb:

> The "cutoff" was about 6 months ago; I haven't seen anything large since that
> time.

Around here, in Germany, it was 12-18 months ago. EA was the first to
announce that cardboard boxes are "outdated" and subsequently published
new games only in DVD cases. Others followed shortly after.

Boxes around here were never as fancy as those in the US, but now it is
at the point where I have to seriously question the advantage of buying
an original versus downloading a game from the net, esp. considering
that mostly inadequate tiny manuals are cramped into the case. Even with
most complicated games like "Operation Flashpoint."

Interestingly, although the manufacturing costs for manuals and
packaging probably dropped considerably after this strategy, the prices
for games stayed the same and with the introduction of the Euro even
increased by roughly $5.

> I really, really hated the small box decision -- more than you know.
Heh, at least you still get boxes! :-)

> But if
> you want to look at it in a positive light, most small boxes are completely
> useless for manuals, so it prompts more companies to produce a "Collector's
> Edition" with trinkets/feelies, maps, manuals, and unique packaging.  (Whether
> or not these intentionally-mass-produced versions are more collectable than
> the standard ones is a subject for another debate :-)

Although the collector's editions usually cost considerably more. If we
take into light that that was just about what Infocom did for *regular*
games, which as well provided them with a neat copy protection, it is a
little ironic where things end up now.

Marco
--
http://www.pp-forum.de/