(Sorry I'm jumping in late here.  Busy week, and I'm just getting caught up
now.)

> Price guide: many of us are reluctant to work with fixed prices. It tends
> to take some of the fun out of collecting if everyone knows what they can
> expect for an item. Cruel as it may sound, I prefer to deal with the
> occasional uneducated buyer or seller at times >:)

That and bulk lots.  With a price guide, someone can go through every game
they have, add up the "prices", and there's no shot at a bargain.  (Worse,
they'll pick the good stuff out and sell it separately.)  I don't like to
rip people off, but I do like to get bargains.  If we reach a price where
they're happy and I'm happy, that's great.  A price guide would pull the two
sides in different directions, making that difficult to achieve.

> Without doubt eBay has a very strong influence on the market and tends to
> set the values for high-profile items (examples being the Kilrathi Saga,

The price on Kilrathi Saga never ceases to astound me.  It seems they may
finally be coming down, though.  I think the last one went for $120.  They
were $200+ a couple of years ago.

> I just wouldn't define this as the 'real' value of an item. This is
> entirely dependent on the subjective judgement of every single collector.

Agreed.  eBay is so prone to flukes (two newbies bid a Microsoft Adventure
up over $120) and misses (a game sells for far less than most people would
offer because it's poorly described, or a clueless seller used a low
BuyItNow) that I'm reluctant to use it as a price guide for anything outside
of common items you see multiple copies of every week.

> Just a suggestion of course, and not even a very good one perhaps, as we
> would have to update the values in a regular fashion.

And that's never fun.  You have to follow the market and track supply and
demand.  Stuff depreciates too, when there's a lot of it being offered at
once.

One of the Software Reruns in Jim and Tom's area never gets around to
lowering their prices and they don't sell much software as a result.