Chris Newman wrote:

> The opinions about the answer to this question are probably subjective
> but I think it's worth asking:
> Was King's Quest 1 really the first quasi-3D adventure game released for
> the IBM line? There

If you are defining "quasi-3D adventure game" as the stereotypical "Sierra"
game -- meaning, a visible protagonist who moves around the screen, and a
limited text parser -- then yes, because it was the first game from Sierra
using that system.

In normal oldwarez or abandonware circles, my next comment would anger a lot
of people, but in this crowd I think I'm amongst peers when I say:  Sierra's
adventure system simply didn't make any sense whatsoever.  In a normal piece
of interactive fiction, you type things like "use key to unlock door.  open
door, then enter." and a lot of niggly stuff was taken care of, like walking
over to the door, using the key, opening the door, and walking through it.
But in Sierra's "Quest" games, you have to physically maneuver an on-screen
avatar over to the door, type "use key to unlock door" anyway, and then
maneuver him through the door.  I mean, why so complicated?  What is the point
of making the game much harder to play?  Was it an attempt at compensating for
the incredibly weak text parser?  If you were nowhere near the door on the
same screen but typed "use key to unlock door", the game would actually
respond "You're not close enough."  Excuse me?  Why are my actions limited by
distance?  Hello?

My theory is that these types of games survived because they were a novelty.
Something pretty was onscreen, and sprites moved behind other sprites giving
the illusion of depth, and on certain platforms you had decent music.  But
overall *any* piece of interactive fiction with graphics is better -- you get
to see the graphics, but you don't have to do stupid crap just to "immerse"
you in the game.  A decent story and flexible parser with multiple outcomes is
what immerses you in a story, not moving a little blocky sprite around the
screen.

Honestly, what is the appeal of Sierra's "Quest" games?  Anyone who likes
them, please shed some light on the subject.
--
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/