Karl Kuras wrote:

> > Trust me, I can classify them.  :)  Genres haven't blurred; people's minds
> > have.  Go ahead -- hit me with something difficult.
>
> I'll give this dare a try... how about Mafia?
> I mean, it's a driving game, a shooter, and some would say an adventure.

Adventures progress through decision, not action.  Since you can't
significantly change Mafia's story or outcomes based on your decisions, it's
not an adventure game.  People confuse this a lot; they think that great
storytelling equals "adventure game", which is incorrect.  Half-Life had
excellent storytelling, but was it an adventure game?

So:  Action + Racing; subgenres 3rd-person perspective, shooter.

(FYI: I added the above information, slightly reworked, as tomorrow's
MobyGames Random Thought.  I also correct the Mafia entry, to remove
Adventure.)
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.