Leveraging the phenomenon on ebay that one rare item selling for a wad of cash is usually followed by several more just like it, is it a possible strategy to 'sell' highly desirable vintage items amongst ourselves on ebay? We wouldn't actually transfer ownership of the goods, and sure there would be a few bucks in final value fees to pay, but it would generate awareness amongst those who might have other copies to list them for actual sale :) Evil? Immoral? Risky? There's also the risk that somehow someone outside of the um plot (or scam) would accidentally win, and then it would be tricky to get around that. I'm not actually advocating this, its just interesting to think about.