Hi all,

We just had a case where we missed some mails from a vendor, and
those mails now have arrived with three month delay. After some investigation
we found the reason for the delay: the vendor is using Exchange 2003 SP2,
which has a known, still unfixed bug. It causes outbound mail to domains that
implement greylisting to be jailed in a black hole until the SMTP service is
restarted.

If you are having an issue with greylisting, please review the problem
description below.  Should your problem match the description below and the
workaround works for you, Microsoft has advised me to ask you to raise a
support call with them.  When you raise your support call, please ask that
they link the call to the EMEA case SRZ060302000872.  This way, should a
number of customers be seeing the problem, it can be tracked within Microsoft.

SYMPTOMS
=========

When Exchange tries to send mails to certain domains that implement
"greylisting", the mails fail to get delivered, without any intimation to the
sender on the first attempt. Thereafter on either restarting the server or
SMTP service, the mails get delivered to the destination domains. At times,
NDRs for these delayed mails are also generated after rebooting.

PROBLEM
========

The issue is intermittent and occurs only when the destination domains have
greylisting implemented  and mail is sent to the greylisted domain the very
first time.

WORKAROUNDS

1. Write a script to restart the SMTP service at least once a day.
2. Modify the registry on the sender Exchange server, to change
   the Glitch Retry key.
3. Clarify that there is no 3rd party AV software in the
   environment which could be causing the issue.

--
Martin

Martin Blapp, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>