On 04/30/2012 09:37 AM, Daniel Owens wrote:

On 04/30/2012 06:54 AM, Chris Little wrote:
On 4/30/2012 4:39 AM, David Troidl wrote:
Hi Chris,

I'm certainly no expert on your TEI dictionaries, but wouldn't it make
sense to have the first key be one that would sort properly, and present
the dictionary in true alphabetical order? I'm thinking of Middle
Liddell, as well as the Hebrew. This key wouldn't even necessarily have
to be shown to the user. The second key, the title, could then maintain
the proper accents for display, without hindering sorting, searching or
navigation.

I confess, I don't understand what you're proposing this as an alternative to.

In the example Karl cites, there's just one actual key per entry. It is an uppercased version of the entryFree's n attribute. This is the key that is sorted.

The un-uppercased version from the n attribute is being rendered as part of the entry text via the TEI filters. This is the part I'm proposing we retain, but render somewhere else, e.g. right-justified at the bottom of the entry.

We also render all the text of the entry, which in these cases includes the text from a title element.

I don't know what 'true alphabetical order' means, but if you mean localized sort order, it's not possible with the current implementation of this module type.

--Chris

I think David's concern is something that needs to be dealt with. A number of possibilities could be pursued, some of them together:

1. The current implementation is to sort by unicode code points. This works particularly well with numeric keys. A quick solution for languages for which such sorting is not alphabetical would be to follow David's suggestion of using keys that the user does not even see. This has the advantage of providing a workable solution right away, but there are some problems with this. First, we could create a new "strongs" standard because the current implementation does not actually hide keys. That could be solved by making the keys so obscure that no one would remember them. Second, any future, more robust solution would require reworking all modules keyed to it. I have toyed with this solution, and it might be the pragmatic way forward, but it is not ideal.

2. A localized sort order, which I think this is what David means by true alphabetical order, would be a better long-term solution.

3. In addition, using genbooks for lexica would work for lexica that are sorted by root, with subentries nested in a hierarchy, just like in the Hesychius module and BDB. I have been working with Troy on this. Unfortunately, front-ends do not recognize the Feature=HebrewDef option in the conf file and allow genbooks as lexica. I can send anyone an example lexicon if you are interested in working on this. In that case, instead of @n as the key, */x-entry/@osisID would be the key.

Any thoughts?

I think there is a problem with the sorting of entries in dictionaries where the keys are not ascii. I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember it having been discussed here.

For JSword, we'll be building a Lucene search index for the key, the term and the whole entry. A user lookup will be normalized and the search will return the key with which lookup will proceed internally as it does today. ICU provides the ability to create a localized sort key (not at all suitable for display) that can be used to sort dictionary entries for the end-users locale. I'm thinking that for TEI dictionaries the representation of the key should not be shown at all.

From what I can remember, this will solve all the issues.

In Him,
    DM