There are major implication of storing such data and in the UK there are
particularly stringent restrictions on how and where you can store such
data. I believe this goes as far as dictating hardware setup etc.
My advice would be evaluate the reason why you are storing this information
and think about shifting this task to a dedicated payment gateway service.
These services are setup to ensure all legislation is covered and users
personal data is protected. If you are storing data for delayed or repeat
billing these service should be able to facilitate this.

I have in the past been asked by a number of clients to store this data so
they could process orders manually through a PDQ terminal... All to save
paying for a payment gateway.

Although the risk may seem small. Just imagine the implications of someone
gaining access to your server? (This does happen)

Alistair

--
Alistair Stead
Senior Interactive Developer

Mobile: +44 (0) 7788 107 333
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: designdisclosure.com

The information contained in this email is confidential and may contain
proprietary information. It is meant solely for the intended
recipient/recipients. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.