Just a thought, but I'd strongly advise you against storing this kind
of information unless you/your company has the kind of legal backing
and security infrastructure to support protecting such critical
information. I know this doesn't answer your question, but the reality
is there the is not going to be a good solution for this problem as it
is a sort of "chicken and egg" problem. Even if you use the most
sophisticated public/private key encryption, compromising the server
would spell disaster. (After all, the software can read it, no?)

Large companies like PayPal and the like have invested millions in
security and indeed, when people buy online they expect this sort of
security. Protect your customers and you will protect your business....

Just my 2-cents.

Best,
JLS