On Mar 9, 9:05 pm, "Patrick Fong" <patr...@ddns.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm looking for a bit of guidance in the design on my application, mainly
> how much to place in a particular module. The case that I am currently
> looking at is my user module. As well as the standard, profile, credentials
> etc, my user has preferences  and other properties but I am unsure whether
> or not I should encapsulate crud for all of these user properties through
> one big 'user' module/action or separate them out into separate
> modules/actions 'user_profile', 'user_preferences' etc. Is there any
> standard approach ?

I've been wondering the same, mostly about apps. Apparenty most
developers prefer to have 2 apps:  a frontend and a backend. For my
first two symfony projects, I simply did these as two modules inside
of one app.

My current project has 27 database tables, so I created 27 modules. I
then created 2 extra modules: "dashboard" for the backend and
"content" for the frontend. I then grouped the 27 modules on the
dashboard. On the dashboard, I probably caused myself 30 minutes of
extra work, because I had to set security for each of the 27 modules
individually, instead of being able to lock them down at the level of
the app. Otherwise, I haven't seen much of a downside to keeping
everything in one app.

It would be good to know what is considered best practice in this
area. One of the main purposes of using framework like CakePHP or
symfony or Ruby On Rails is to have a project that works like other
projects. Especially where PHP is concerned, I think most large firms
are embracing frameworks as a way to escape the anarchy that was
previously associated with PHP projects.