Sample 1 does not work for me. When I go here mydomain/
frontend_dev.php/sfEasyGMapPlugin/sample1 I just get the text "The
Map" a big white space where the map should be and a search box to
search the map.

Did you move the the entire contents of plugins/sfEasyGMapPlugin/web
to web/sfEasyGMapPlugin when you were setting it up?

Thanks,
Zach