On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 14:16, Tom Boutell<t...@punkave.com> wrote:
> Speaking of which: one best-of-all-possible-worlds scenario is to set
> up your Linux distribution of choice in a VirtualBox virtual machine.
> Doesn't cost a penny, and if you get the filesharing right you should
> be able to code in TextMate without any tedious syncing to your local
> test environment. You don't even have to set up the X GUI for the
> server in that scenario, which makes the VM a lot less heavy in CPU
> terms.

I agree.

I bought recently a macbook, and I am using virtualbox on macosx.

My virtual machine is a debian minimal LAMP system, with docroot
mounted via NFS on my host mac, where I use netbeans to develop.

The advantages are:
- dev and prod environments are identical;
- you start the virtual machine only when you need it;
- I don't need to sync any files anywhere;

Bye

--
Giovanni "scorp" Toraldo